Friday, September 9, 2016

The Battle's Not Mine

Work has been taxing, the past several weeks - lots of staff turnover and I've felt I had to give more of my time and energy to work.  At the same time, my prayer life feels like it's suffered greatly.  I decided to request today off and my boss heartily agreed.  However, this morning, I got a text stating that my unit was short-staffed.  I began to cry out to God, "If this is Your will, I don't like. I'll do it, but I'm not happy about it." It wasn't long before word was sent that the shortage was covered. I then decided to go hiking at Battle Ground, IN where the Battle of Tippecanoe was fought in 1812.


Before I left the house, I asked God for a sign in the Scriptures if I should go.  When I opened my Bible, I looked down at 2 Cor. 10:4-5: "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of stongholds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."  Now, I just thought that was maybe a coincidence. So, I opened up my devotional - My Utmost for His Highest - September 09 "...bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ...."  Wasn't sure exactly what the sign meant, but on I went to Battle Ground.


Image result
http://www.ingenweb.org/intippecanoe/prophetsrock.htm
Battle Ground was formerly known by the Native Americans as Prophetstown because of a Shawnee named Tenskwatawa (name means: the Open Door). His early name meant noisemaker due to him trying to make a name for himself like his brother, Tecmuseh.  He ended up becoming a drunk and wasting his life away, until one day when he passed out drunk.  Some stories say he fell into the fire.  His family believed him to be dead and when he arose, he was a changed man.  He began to curse alcohol and discourage all the ways of the White man. He encouraged his people to return to the old ways.   I have no doubt that he had a religious experience and possibly visions from God.   However, eventually he moved his people to Indiana at the Wabash river until General William Harrison brought a troop there to resettle them.


Tenskwatawa told the natives that the bullets fired by the white man would be harmless and If they attacked in the dark, the whites would be confused and would fall down in a stupor. The darkness would blind the white men,  but the Master of Life would provide daylight vision to the tribes. He said that victory was certain for the red man and gave the signal for battle from what has become known as Prophet's Rock. He sat on the rock and sang chants of encouragement to the warriors.  They lost the battle and Prophetstown was burned to the ground.


 When I climbed up on the rock and was looking out through the trees, thinking about Elijah in his secret place in the cave, I started praying the Scriptures about spiritual warfare.  As I was getting ready to leave, the Spirit came over me and reminded me of I Samuel 17:45 - "You come to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to you in the Name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, Whom you defy."  Then He reminded me, "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of Hosts." Zech. 4:6b


My mind went to another prophet who sat on the hillside, while the armies of Israel fought.  He held his hands up until the going down of the sun and the battle was won. You can read about this in Exodus 17:11. 


One prophet led his people to warfare with carnal weapons and did not have "Thus saith the Lord."  The other prophet led his people to warfare with spirituals weapons and "Thus saith the Lord." The latter had the victory before the battle even started.  My heart was full.


While driving home, I stopped at the gas station. The gas station was named Luke and the sign declaring the price per gallon read $2.19.   When I pulled up, I read Luke 2:19 - "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."  The gas total was $24.45, so I read Luke 24:45 - "Then opened He their understanding that they might understand the Scripture."


Even when we're low, He reminds us to always walk by faith. What a journey it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment