Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ask and you shall receive...

My job entails working with patients who have Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. I am the director of the secure memory care unit in a nursing facility.  Therefore everyday is different and has many opportunities that can lead to stress.  I am often the liaison between families, the patient and the staff.  At the end of the day, I am the advocate for the patient.  However, many families are have a difficult time accepting the changes they see in mom or dad and this often reflects negative toward the professional caregivers.


Lately, I've had a patient who has began to exhibit different behaviors from their normal and has been somewhat challenging.  Last evening, this patient landed in a different room than theirs and misplaced their glasses.  Just before I left for the day, the staff informed me - "So-and-so's glasses are missing and we've searched the room."  I thought about the fact that this person was found in another patient's room and asked, "did you check that room?"  "Yes, they replied."  


But being the over-thinker, I thought, "Well, I'm sure they didn't look under the bed or night stand." So off I went, just to rest my case before I officially declared them missing.  Just as the nursing assistant said, they were obviously not in the room.  As I turned to leave the room, I looked up to the ceiling and prayed, "Lord, You said if we ask we can receive, if we seek....." At that moment, I made one final sweep of the room with my eyes, and there in plain sight, laying just under the window unit was the missing glasses.  God heard and answered even before I finished my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment