Sunday, June 19, 2016

Walking By Emunah (Faith)

So, I have been trying to practice what the Christian elder Paul taught the Corinthian believers: Walk by faith, not by sight.   But what does that really mean? Can we do this if we don't really understand what faith is?  In our mindset (western/Euro-American mindset) faith is "intellectually accepting that something is true, despite tangible evidence" (author's definition). However, the author of the book of Hebrews stated, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen."  (Heb11:1 KJV) Faith is often referred to as the 6th sense, but it is so much greater than that.

Faith is coming to the recognition that God is. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (Heb 11:3) Everything that exists only exists by His will and design. He is in the lightening, thunder, rain, earthquakes, flowers, trees, deer, fish, water, etc. He is also in modern technology for without Him would not anything exist that does exist. He is in my car, oven, microwave, job, family, pet, smart phone.  But you might say that's sacrilegious or idolatry. When we give glory to anything other than God, that is idolatry. God created Steve Jobs and gifted him with the mind to invent the smartphone.  God gave Bill Gates the talent and intellectual ability to design an amazing computer program that is used the world over.

The Apostle Paul taught the Roman believers: For what can be known about God is plain to them [godless and wicked people], because God Himself has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible attributes - His eternal power and divine nature - have been understood and observed by what He made, so that people are without excuse. (Roms 1:19-20 ISV) When we look at the things we see, it is like looking at a reflection of God. If you are a true believer in Christ, then "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28 NIV) And no matter what the situation, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (I Thess 5:18 KJV)

You really can't get by without faith in this life. Everyone has "faith" in something. And as a Christian you certainly cannot survive without faith.  It is oxygen to the soul. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Heb 11:6)  But how is faith cultivated? Consequently, faith results from listening, and listening results through the word of the Messiah. (Rom 10:17 ISV) Jesus compared faith to a mustard seed. When someone hears the words of God, a seed is planted. If that seed is watered and nurtured, it brings about a plant and that plant puts forth leaves and blossoms and eventually bears fruit.

So it is with faith. It is planted in the heart. The more you recognize God in your situation, the bigger your faith and before long, you find yourself bearing the attributes of Christ.

Recently, as I was preparing to take a shower, I thanked God for the ability to shower. I thought about what a luxury it is that I have shower and running water.  To my surprise, the next morning, there was no hot water.  I thanked for all the hot showers I have been able to take.  I remembered a homeless person who told me they were about to lose their job because they didn't have a routine bath for hygiene.  That evening, I was able to relight the pilot and again thank God for hot water.

Only a few days later, I was out in the back cleaning up the yard, when I scrapped my toe on a rusty nail. Instead of panicking, I thanked God for His protection that it didn't go deep into my foot. 

Only a day later, I was watching a lecture on faith from Rabbi Dror Cassouto on the Emunahchannel.com, when by back begin to feel like a knife was piercing me on the left side. Within seconds, I was sure I was passing a kidney stone.  I filled the tub with hot water and laid there thanking for another experience.  Within two hours, I had passed the stone.

So, why did these things happen? I don't know. That's why it's faith. I know it was the Creator in all these things, but for what purpose, I can't say. What I can say is, "Thanks, God. I know You know the reasons and purposes and You'll work it out."



No comments:

Post a Comment