Monday, June 20, 2016

Contentment vs. Minimalism

Recently, I have been reading up on many frugal websites and blogs. I find it intriguing that so many of the things listed, I already do. The best scrubby in the world is a used orange or onion bag. Also, ordering water on those occasional trips to a restaurant.  And how about those leftovers.

Before going on a two week trip to Hawaii, I decided not to go to the grocery store for almost two weeks. The refrigerator was full and so was the food pantry. In fact, some things were outdated and had never been opened. It's amazing how ingenious I became with meals.


I have also found that you can save some change by going the speed limit. It reduces the use of fuel, as well as saves you from catching so many red lights.  I have found myself accelerating down the interstate over the posted speed limit, only to be stopped in rush hour traffic, right next to that sweet old granny I passed ten miles ago.  Not only did it cost me fuel, but the rush left me feeling anxiety and hurried.


Many people turn to Buddha for tips for wisdom.  I turn to the Jewish Messiah - Jesus. He was very minimalistic. In fact, we find He had no place to call home (Matt 8:20).  He taught that we shouldn't put thought into material things, such as food/clothing, but our main concern should be the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt 6:33).  He practiced a very ancient form of meditation. Modern Hebrew speakers refer to it as Hitbodedut. It is being alone with God. (Matt 14:23)


Rather than being a minimalist, I prefer the term "contentment".  The apostle stated, "Godliness with contentment is great gain" and " having food and clothing, be content with these things" (I Tim 6:6, 8) It's not so much about having to have the latest gadget or the most recent iPhone. It's not about driving the latest model or taking a spectacular vacation. It's about being content with what you have.


The 10th commandment states, "You shall not covet your neighbors spouse. You shall not covet his house, nor his ox, his mule, his land or anything that is your neighbors."  By keeping this commandment, we guard ourselves against discontentment with the things that we have.  I am happy for my neighbor that he/she got a new car. I am happy that my neighbor has an 60'' concave plasma T.V. But I am thankful that I have a car to drive. I am content with my laptop. I am content with my older model phone.


I may not go through my closet an eliminate all but 7 outfits, but I do not wish to overspend on clothing that I don't need. If I find a shirt I like and feel that it will be more practical than one I already own, it may be time to donate an old one to make room for the new.


I have lived in my house, now for eight years.  I have yet to have a water spigot install outdoors to water my garden.  It does become cumbersome carrying out buckets of water in the summer, to water my garden, but it is also a blessing.  As I was thinking on this recently, I realized how thankful I am to God when it rains.  It gave me the sense that I'm sure Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had when rains came or they found an oasis in the desert. I began to realize how God has used this to illustrate a lesson of thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment