Sunday, September 16, 2018

The New Song of the Lord

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. Eph 5:19

And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God:
 many shall see it, and fear and shall trust in the Lord. Ps 40:3

O sing unto the Lord a new song: sing unto the Lord,
 all the earth. Ps 96:1

And they sang as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts,
and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty four thousand,
which were redeemed from the earth. Rev. 14:3


Many years ago, I had the privilege of going to a campmeeting in Ashland, VA. This campground and meeting had been held annually for more than 40 years.  It started in June and went for 10 1/2 weeks.  They also had a shorter version of a campmeeting in the month of February.  It was through the teaching on praise and worship, through Sister Ruth Ward Heflin, who was the leader of this campground, that I learned about the new song.

Some years later, I went to live in Jerusalem and through Sister Nancy Bergen, (Sister Ruth's Associate) I was trust into the new song. Every day from 1-2 or 3 we would gather in the chapel at Mount Zion Fellowship and sing the new song of the Lord. Often, I would be playing the piano and be compelled to lead. 

What is is the new song?  Well, it's when the Holy Spirit comes and inspires a word or song in your spirit and you begin to sing it.  It's when you begin to sing a song that you've never learned before. It often comes a single phrase that you may sing over and over until God drops another line in.

I have many times had God drop new songs in my spirit driving down the road, standing on a platform leading the people in worship, walking through the corridors of a nursing home where I work or in the midst of prayer.  Lately, the Lord has redirected me to sing a new song during my prayer and devotions time. 

I start off just singing a tune to Hallelujah, Praise the Lord and with a rhythm and tempo that I can dance before the Lord to. Then a new line comes I start to sing it - He is worthy, worthy, He is worthy to be praised; He is mighty, mighty, Mighty is our God; I will dance before the Lord, for He is worthy to be praised.... and on and on until He leads me into a gentle Spirit of Worship.

On 8/18/18, I had been flowing in the Spirit when He dropped a new song into my heart: "In the glory realm. In the glory realm, in the Presence of the Lord."  Later, I was driving to work and He gave me another line: "Holy fire, Upon the altar. Holy fire upon the altar of the Lord."  The next day, I received another line: "In the throne room of Your glory, In the throne room of the glory of the Lord."

This morning, after a long time of dancing and praising before the Lord, He gave me a new line to that tune: "In the secret place, I can see Your face, As Your glory fills this place." "In the secret place, there's perfect love and grace, when I stand in this holy place"

I challenge you to allow the Holy Spirit to begin to work in your life through the new song. 

Singing a new song does two things for you. It teaches you how to concentrate on God and it teaches you simplicity. It is possible to be singing a chorus you know well and, at the same time, be planning a menu.  You can't do that with the new song. You'll lose it. You have to concentrate on the Lord to sing the new song. Then, we need that simplicity so that we can repeat it the next time around.  { Taken from the book by Ruth Ward Heflin -- Glory}

No comments:

Post a Comment