Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Consider the Wild Flowers

Wild Star Lily (Star of Bethlehem)
Consider how 
the wild flowers grow. 
They do not labor or spin. 
Yet I tell you, not even Solomon 
in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
Luke 12:27 NIV

This verse was given during the Sermon on the Mount. I am not a Greek scholar, but from all the English translations, it appears that this is in the imperative form as a commandment.  In the recording of Matthew, just a few verses prior to this one, Jesus commanded us to "Look at the birds of the air."  I have always enjoyed both bird watching and listening to their songs. I have also enjoyed the wild flowers in my garden, as much as those that I have planted. So, I decided, since my previous post was on gardening for vegetables, I would share some of my wild flowers over the years that God has given to me to consider.



 Although the Morning Glories can be a bit pesky, as their vines tend to take over the surrounding plants and garden, I love to see them in the morning. I have two varieties in my garden: the purple and also the white with a purple stripe inside. If you look closer at the left picture, it shows how the butterflies benefit from this wild flower.  I have been blessed with many wonderful creations of God in my garden.



This is a picture of the Bittersweet Nightshade. The flowers are absolutely stunning with their purple petals and yellow tips. They grew around
the birdhouse. By the time it came back the nextyear, they had taken over as you can see. The final picture is of the berries, which although they may look like cherries or tomatoes (which by the way, they are in the same family with tomatoes and potatoes) they are actually quite poisonous.  So, we'll just have to enjoy their beauty.












Here are some radon pictures of the wildlife enjoying my garden.


One of many squirrels

An Opossum


A Honey Bee
A Grasshopper

A Beautiful Butterfly

A Caterpillar

A Bumblebee


No comments:

Post a Comment