Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Lord's Prayer - Our Father

Our Father who art in Heaven -

The Great Rabbi taught us that if a son asked his father for bread, the father wouldn't give him a stone or if he asked an egg, the father wouldn't give him scorpion or instead of a fish, a serpent. How much more our Father in Heaven will give us what we have need of. James said, "Every good gift and every perfect gift cometh down from the Father of lights." "Our Father" denotes relationship.

Many people never had a good relationship with their father. Although my father was a great man, he passed on when I was only 10 years old, so I can't really relate. Because of circumstances, these people often have difficulty with relationships. However, our Heavenly Father is the most patient Father of all.

Although, it often seems like He is angry with us for a season, it's really just that He is trying to teach us a better way. He never "chastens" us out of anger. Hebrews 12:7-11 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected [us], and we gave [them] reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened [us] after their own pleasure; but he for [our] profit, that [we] might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
David described it this way, "Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me." It's a reminder to the sheep that the Shepherd is still leading and in control of every situation.

How do we get this relationship, you ask?

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth Me no more; but ye shall see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judah saith unto him, not Iscariot, 'Lord, how is it that thou with manifest thyelf unto us, and not unto the world?' Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words and My Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." (John 14:18-23)

WOW! Can you see that? Jesus was telling us that we have a Divine right to Fellowship and Relationship with the Father. So, if God is a Spirit, and He is our Father, then how can we have fellowship? The Apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8:15, "But ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." It's having His Spirit come and live inside of us.

Now, I guess it goes without saying, that when Jesus says, "in heaven" He's not referring to the sky, or outer space, the stars, etc. He's referring to the spirit realm.

So, lets sum it up. Our Father is a Spirit, He wants us to have a relationship with Him, but in order to do so, we have to have a connection - adoption by the Holy Ghost, and we can only access Him by the Spirit... Eph 2:18 "For through Him we both have access by One Spirit unto the Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment